Skip to main content

'The Wedding Speech'

“Not many know me here. I might be Mr. Somebody for the maximum number of people present here for this special occasion.
I thought I would start my speech by addressing you as the “new” family of my sister. But I think it would be inappropriate because now that she is married, you are “the family” for her. Believe me; I don’t (rather cannot have and should not) have a problem with that. I, in fact, want her to have “you” as her priority now 😔(and you know that this I'm not saying from heart). I was a complete stranger until she accepted me as her best friend and more importantly a brother. I don't demand anything from you, but just one thing to keep her happy always..

I am more than sure that you will keep her extremely happy. She will perhaps be happier with you than what she used to be while having our favorite coffee. But unlike all the brothers, since I don't have a real sister I'm little more obsessed with her happiness. And I hope you will keep her happy coz she has already gone through a lot in her life.
She is in fact the reason why I breathe and smile, when i am not with my blood family. She's getting married because this is what the law of nature demands. I am helpless in the face of our culture and hence cannot do anything about it. She has been my happiness and will now light up your life. Please make sure she remains . I am giving away my heart to you. Please make sure she stays as a queen. For all the care, love, beauty and warmth my sister will bring into your lives, I just want her happiness in return—please keep her happy!

If at times you think that she has said or done something wrong, feel free to scold her. But handle her with love. She is FRAGILE. If at times she feels low, be with her. She just needs a little bit of your attention. If at times she feels sick, show her some care. It’s the medicine that works best for her. If at times she fails to fulfill a responsibility, feel free to chastise her. But empathize with her. She is still learning. And before you take out your anger on her, just remember that she has been a wonderful daughter & as said earlier is still learning. Do understand her—please keep her happy!

I don’t mind if I don’t get to see her for months. I don’t mind if I am not able to talk to her on a daily basis!! I would be more than happy if she doesn’t remember me much. But, my only concern would be her happiness which is now in your hands. I urge you, please keep her happy.

Dear brother-in-law, these words may not mean much to you now but once you realize the importance of YOUR SISTER’S HAPPINESS TO YOU, you will appreciate me better when you will find every beat of your heart shouting – “please keep her happy!!”



- Pushkin Channan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day In Life

 I sit here surrounded not by humans although with those endless thoughts that are echoing in my head since last night post your departure. Hey Little Angle!! I write here sitting, for you, under the sky talking to clouds and asking them about your well-being. Just been 24 hours you had left home to kick off your new life. However it still seems to be a dream to acknowledge the fact that you are now officially a woman. A girl who just few hours back was the most pampered kid of the home now is a wife to someone whom you would tag as your LIFE. The time has flown with Godspeed. The night sky doesn't talk and the day doesn't let me communicate my emotions well. It would be hard to steal time in the years following. We do not share blood relation. The amount of love and care you have been blessed by your own people is much more than I could have, solely, blessed you with. All I could have done last night was to be a part of the group of people who came forward to bid you farewell

The Next Step

Expected & accepted The life lied And reality distracted Leaving protected Family directed. The plea Staying back rejected Starting new Scared too Stepping steps Other side of doorstep The world waited. I hesitated For the final seeing To start believing To live while dreaming To see twin changing The domicile. Wishes, Lucks, Greetings Maybe self failed to share The ongoing changes. The night most feared Bidding farewell While few smiled The world left behind CRIED - Pushkin Channan

Those Heart Attacks

The news happy or sad, confused. the reaction i knew. far & away the distances uncovered I'll fail acknowledging them. the calculations  missed & not corrected imperfections surround me. staying grounded looking high I'll see you vanishing. the airplanes, the airport your crossing boundaries I'll wait for the turn for me to take over to leave you in tears. being on driver's seat getting things done I'll thank the 'Monopoly'. no not heartless just following the footsteps for once I was scared was being done to me. gracefully embraced I'll duplicate the same. - Pushkin Channan