Skip to main content

New Comer In The City

I left home right after class 12 to pursue my graduation and then my profession. 16 August, 2013 I entered the city of millionaires, Gurgaon. As a kid of a small town from Haryana, I was surprised by the fast paced life of the city people. Those expensive vehicles, the huge mansions and the luxurious streets. What do I do in a city that's completely unknown to me!! A city where I stood at one side of that concrete road and saw the glamour on the opposite side. I understood, the life of a common person is not easy, and in the years it was proven right. Where do I go? Whom do I talk to? Whom do I call my friend? 
The situation was like a kid who has entered the hostel for the first time. A complete stranger in the city. Were strangers really a danger? Well, how do you get that tag of a stranger removed if you really want to befriend someone?? Simple - Go and talk. And that I was afraid to do. 'Some great relations in life start with that first word being exchanged more precisely shared'. And until my last breath, I'll be thankful for that. The city's weather has always been amazing. Those first rains, getting drenched in water. The city's winters. The late nights staying up. The all good habits were turned into bad.
Note - 'I'm a teetotaler though'. 
Coming from a middle class and being raised up in a family where parents always used to sacrifice their dreams in order to fullfil ours; somewhere I too learnt the same. The art of lying and not asking for the presents on the birthdays. Not celebrating them. And here in this Millennium City, I saw the people being born with the golden spoon. Their demands being fulfilled. No boundaries and boundations. I was taken away with such a lifestyle. And wanted to live that. My another dream was to have a glimpse of the mansion of the riches from inside. I've always been a kind of a person who want to live that life for 'Once' atleast. A life of a Millionaire. iPhone in one hand, a Rolex or a Cartier watch, and being driven in an Audi or Merc or BMW. There would be more branded things I'm sure. The first time I entered my Best Friend's home, I was like OMG this is huge. Until then, I only had seen the duplex Mansions in movies and it was a dream come true for a Small Towner like me. I still remember my first outings to KFC, Subway and CCD. The city had given me a Best Friend and more importantly a soul whom i tagged as a Sister. And this would be savored entire life. 
I have always been driven by the fast paced life of the city people.
The other confusions that I wanted to get rid of were - why in this city everyone spoke in a foreign language i.e 'English'. They hardly used to speak in Hindi. Adding on - I, at that time had an impression and still live with same mindset that the adults of this city tend to make friends from the same class i.e who matched their lifestyle. And if I talk about this today, it would be called as a mainstream thought. The city, I have fallen in love with. The city that brought the writer out in me. The city that gave the best of memories. The city whose memories I'll savor my entire life.



Pushkin 

Comments

  1. What an osm description u had given on this city... However i have never gone there but by reading this whole thing i feel like i m living there or go daily n know the city very much..... But now my curiosity increases to know the city much better than ever i did....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every word of the artical narrates the story of survival and coming closer to dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you explored the idea of stepping out of that which you're used to. The idea that cities have souls and can impact you deeply. I see this is where your Sister was (she's the one who inspired the book?) You have beautifully captured the wide eyed innocence and awe, and the trepidation you felt when thrown into the fast paced, unfamiliar territory.
    Your writing is engrossing and it was delightful to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pushkin,

    Its always been a pleasure to read your blogs , the way you express emotions is a blessing to you. I really appreciate your blogs and share them with my friends.

    Regards
    Reader

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing read. I loved it. Collection of memories ❤️👍🌸🙏🏻✌️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Day In Life

 I sit here surrounded not by humans although with those endless thoughts that are echoing in my head since last night post your departure. Hey Little Angle!! I write here sitting, for you, under the sky talking to clouds and asking them about your well-being. Just been 24 hours you had left home to kick off your new life. However it still seems to be a dream to acknowledge the fact that you are now officially a woman. A girl who just few hours back was the most pampered kid of the home now is a wife to someone whom you would tag as your LIFE. The time has flown with Godspeed. The night sky doesn't talk and the day doesn't let me communicate my emotions well. It would be hard to steal time in the years following. We do not share blood relation. The amount of love and care you have been blessed by your own people is much more than I could have, solely, blessed you with. All I could have done last night was to be a part of the group of people who came forward to bid you farewell

The Next Step

Expected & accepted The life lied And reality distracted Leaving protected Family directed. The plea Staying back rejected Starting new Scared too Stepping steps Other side of doorstep The world waited. I hesitated For the final seeing To start believing To live while dreaming To see twin changing The domicile. Wishes, Lucks, Greetings Maybe self failed to share The ongoing changes. The night most feared Bidding farewell While few smiled The world left behind CRIED - Pushkin Channan

Those Heart Attacks

The news happy or sad, confused. the reaction i knew. far & away the distances uncovered I'll fail acknowledging them. the calculations  missed & not corrected imperfections surround me. staying grounded looking high I'll see you vanishing. the airplanes, the airport your crossing boundaries I'll wait for the turn for me to take over to leave you in tears. being on driver's seat getting things done I'll thank the 'Monopoly'. no not heartless just following the footsteps for once I was scared was being done to me. gracefully embraced I'll duplicate the same. - Pushkin Channan